The Haas Institute for a Fair and Inclusive Society
- As the Robert D. Haas Chancellor's Chair in Equity & Inclusion, Director john powell spoke on the challenges and opportunities of diversities at the university's Hewlett Celebration. (Video forthcoming)
- Director john powell launched his book, Racing to Justice, at a public lecture in Wheeler Hall on November 6. He also held a book reading and signing at the Wayne State University Law School in Detroit, MI on November 13.
- Director john powell, in collaboration with Eva Patterson, Roger Clay, and Paul Hudson, published a letter to African Americans on the Berkeley Blog on November 19.
- Assistant Director, Stephen Menendian, published a blog on the New Politics of Race coming out of the 2012 Presidential campaign on the Haas Institute blog.
- The Haas Institute co-hosted, with the Charles Hamilton Houston Institute, a successful meeting with some strategic partners, at Harvard Law School on November 28–29.
- Director john powell spoke on implicit bias at the Facing Race Conference in D.C. on November 17.
- On November 17, Associate Director Michael Omi was a plenary speaker on "Race and Gender in the 21st Century" for the Facing Race conference in Baltimore, Maryland that drew 1,400 attendees.
- HIFIS senior management held meetings with all seven research clusters.
- The Haas Institute for a Fair and Inclusive Society, along with the Vice Chancellor’s Office of Equity and Inclusion co-sponsored the LGBTQ Cluster’s inaugural event entitled, “The Erotic Life of Racism" on Thursday, November 29 at the UC Berkeley, School of Law.
- The Haas Institute held it’s grand opening celebration on November 26, which also honored the re-naming of the Distinguished Chair in Educational Disparities in Chancellor Robert J. and Mary Catherine Birgeneau’s name. Bob Haas spoke on behalf of the Haas family about the Institute’s unique position within the campus’ diversity initiatives.
Download a copy of Haas-Institute-November-2012-Activities.pdf